Sunday, June 21, 2015

An Ode to Love Lost

You've become
What I feared
The most you would.
A memory.

As the days between us grow,
More certainly in my heart
I learn and know
It was you I loved,
I was in love with.

In retrospect
I understand
Exactly what love is.

I was suspicious
Of my love then
When we shared
Space and time.

Now that space and time
Between us aboud,
Moments come
When I recognize
Myself in others.

Sometimes a movie tells me,
At others a song -
Of the love I had
For you.

And the fact that
It was deep and real.

Your face, your eyes.
Your mouth.
I look at your picture
Now.
And my heart
Swells my eyes with tears.

For though how dearly
I recognize that face,
It no longer is
Mine to hold and gaze.

At times my poetry rhymes -
Just like at times
With you things clicked,
For as long as they did.

No comments: