Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I am at work. I am bored. My Microsoft Office is down and I am handicapped. The internet has lost all its charms... There is nothing that I want to look up... I am filled with ennui. It's interesting how not having things to do at work can actually tire one so much. I'd rather be in a place which has more stuff for me to do... [read interesting stuff]. But you know, that too is a trap...things can be interesting only if you choose for them to be. Like writing or reading this stuff!! LOL

I knew someone who had written a book called 'My Biography of Boredom' - a suitable subject for a discourse. Bertrand Russell too has written extensively on boredom and ways to dissipate it. In true Russell style he's extremely pragmatic about it - doesn't romanticize boredom and raise it to the heights of the existential philosophy like the whole range of European writers who did [read Camus, Kafka and others]. It's beautiful their writing - it's like wallowing in self-pity... a luxury the romanticization of the world and its meaninglessness. But to produce art of/from the meaninglessness itself provides purpose and negates the existentialist enterprise.

There can be no meaninglessness, because human beings will not allow that. Meaninglessness is paradoxical to the human condition. We always have and will, strive to find meanings. Like I am right now trying to find meaning in my condition of not having my Office up and about... it means 'write on your blog'! Well, am doing just that!

1 comment:

Ram said...

beautiful and quite introspective! loved this post of yours...

haven't read much of Russell; but Camus, Kafka and Sartre remain a few of my favorite authors...

meaninglessness and human condition, huh...